Today, I took my 3 year old daughter on a date to Michaels to get some art supplies. Turned out there’s kids club on Saturday mornings at Michaels where you pay $2 for your child to make a themed art project (supplies included) while you shop! Wow, sure beats the ~$20/session art classes in my neighborhood!
I picked up a few art supplies which totaled about $24. I had a coupon for 25% off entire purchase so the total was about $18, which I paid with a Michaels gift card I got for 25% discount at Raise. That means my total out of pocket was only about $13!
Cost for the items: $24
25% off coupon: $6
Subtotal (amount deducted from the gift card): $24 – $6 = $18*
* For simplicity sake, I didn’t include any sales tax
Gift card discount + cashback
25% discount on Michaels gift card: $18 x 0.25 = $4.5
2% cashback credit card used to purchase the gift card: $18 x 0.02 = $0.36
2% portal cashback from TopCashback for purchases on Raise.com: $18 x 0.02 = $0.36
Total out of pocket = $18 – $4.5 – $0.36 – $0.36 = $12.78 → That’s a 47% savings!
I could have saved even more if I had purchased items that were on sale but everything I bought was regularly priced.
Here’s how you can save at least 40% at Michaels:
- Sign up for a TopCashback (referral link) account to receive $10 free cashback.
- Sign up for a Raise.com (referral link) account if you don’t already have one and receive $5 towards your first gift card.
- Use TopCashback to link to Raise and buy your Michaels gift card. Pay with a cashback or point earning credit card. Most of the time, Michaels gift cards are selling for about 20% discount, but every few weeks, Raise runs an extra 5% promotion during the weekend. (Note: Raise sells only physical gift cards for Michaels, so expect 1-2 weeks to receive the gift card in the mail.
- Go to Michaels.com, click Weekly Ad and look for “This week’s coupon”. There’s always a 40% or 50% off any one regularly priced item. Occasionally, you’ll see 25% off entire purchase including sales item. This is where you figure out which coupon saves more. You can either print out the coupon or save the coupon/image to your phone (take a screenshot or just bookmark the page).
- Go to the Michaels store and during check out, show the cashier the discount coupon first, then pay the total with a Michaels gift card.
Support FPT Gift Box
If you like what you're reading and learning about here at FPT Gift Box, be sure to subscribe to the blog via RSS or email (top right of the blog) and check out the many ways you can support FPT Gift Box!.